A Warning About Future Fitness!

gym-cat

There’s a local gym chain in South Jersey called Future Fitness. My Dad actually belonged to this gym for a few years before moving to Florida..

Anyway, a good friend of ours has been a member of Future Fitness for over 3 years now. Her husband got laid off last year, and she decided to cancel her membership since money was tight. When she contacted the gym, she was told that there’s a cancellation policy in her contract, requiring her to give 90-days notice!

She explained her situation to the person on the phone, and they asked her to come in and speak with the manager to see if something could be worked out.

They setup an appointment for that weekend. When she got there, the manager wouldn’t listen to her situation – Instead, he tried getting her to pre-pay for 1-year, which would be cheaper than if she had stayed month-to-month. She told him that her husband was unemployed, and that she needs to conserve money, not spend more!

His smart-ass response? “Maybe he’ll get a job soon.. Why don’t we just freeze your account in the meantime?” Freezing your account is another scam, where they charge you $5/mo to keep your account active, instead of the regular $40/mo.

Needless to say, it was a lost cause. She’s now waiting out the 90-days, while trying to get the word out to as many people as she can about the true scumbags these people really are.

She’s not the only one that’s had issues with Future Fitness. Check out the 14 complaints on Ripoff Report about this company!

It’s sad.. If they had let her out of her contract, she would have probably rejoined when their finances got back in order. Instead, she’ll tell EVERYONE she can about this, and lose a bunch of potential customers in the process.

Please help spread the word! Thanks.

Enjoyed this post?
Subscribe to Zander Chance via RSS Feed or E-mail and receive daily news updates!

Submit to Digg  Stumble This Story  Share on Twitter  Post on Facebook  Post on MySpace  Add to del.icio.us  Submit to Reddit  Fave on Technorati

7 Responses to “A Warning About Future Fitness!”

1. Jason says:

That’s too bad. But you really can’t do anything about it because you signed a contract and it’s probably in the fine print that there is a 90 day notice which is too long in my opinion. Most establishments only require a 30 day notice. But what makes your situation bad is how the manager handled it. He doesn’t really care and he just wants to get your money.

2. Cindy says:

They tell you up front you need to give 90 days…they will give the 90 day freeze and call that your last 90 days if you ask….

3. Dan says:

Lets get to everyone together and start the process of a class action lawsuit. https://www.facebook.com/CollectiveAgainstFutureFitnessPolicy

4. Joel says:

I made the huge mistake of going on a ” free tour ” of future fitness in cherry hill last night. My tour guide, nick, wanted to make me feel like I was an unmotivated slacker if I didn’t join on the spot that night. I wasn’t buying it, but continued to listen. He then brings in his manager to close the deal, which made matters worse. At this point I felt like future fitness is a combination of a cult and used car dealership. The manager tried to be so smooth and cool by making me feel like it was an honor and privilege to be part of the club. Total BS! When I said I wanted a day or two to think about my options, the manager looked at me like I was crazy and he totally expected me to give him my checking account info so I could pay the HUGE initiation fee. This was anywhere from 300-1890. I told him I would go home and get the cash just to get the hell out of there and never went back. Complete waste of my time!!

5. Edna says:

I had to go through exact same headache. So I reported them using BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU. The manager called me and told me I don’t need to go through BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU to report this. She never apologies. I don’t know why these people work in service business without customer service skill.

Then she replied in BBB saying I was using inappropriate language on our conversation. Lucky me, I recorded our conversation and I don’t have a clue what “inappropriate language” she is talking about.

I say we do a class lawsuit against this business and do not stop till the business close!!!!

6. ash says:

My fiance has this bill I noticed coming out of our account for this gym. We go to another one. He explained that he has been unable to cancel his membership. That they say he has to meet a manager in person and they set up a meeting and the manager is never there. Its a scam, and he doesnt live in that state anymore and there’s no way for him to cancel. I’m getting him on that class action!

• Joy Kelly says:

That gym is terrible. Same thing happened to me. I did not give them my new credit card number and then they sent me to a collection agency. How long is my contract? I signed up in 2006!!!!! Is there a class action suit because I want in. It’s too hard to cancel with them. And it’s a scam!!! Joy Kelly