Red Lobster Ultimate Fondue No Longer Available

red_lobster_ultimate_fondue

The wife dragged me to Red Lobster last night, as she wanted crab legs.. I really don’t like the food there, but I gave in since it’s been awhile since we’ve gone there.

Now don’t get me wrong – I’ve been going to Red Lobster for almost 20 years now.. The food is not the best, but we have very limited options when it comes to seafood in our area. I’d get a Bahama Mama and an order of Walt’s Famous Shrimp. Unfortunately, RL decided to replace their “famous shrimp” with some wimpy substitutes that taste like crap!

So I started ordering the Ultimate Fondue, which is a cheesy soup concoction in a bread bowl, which contains chunks of lobster and other seafood. I’d get this anytime we went, and it wasn’t bad.. Until about 6 months ago, when I noticed the taste changed COMPLETELY.. It tasted like the bread had changed, and the new stuff had hints of garlic or something. (Bad, since I’m allergic to garlic) Thinking it was a fluke, I tried it again a few months later, and it was the same kind of awful.

When we went to RL yesterday, I decided to get something different, since the fondue now sucked. Imagine my surprise when I looked on the menu, and saw that the Ultimate Fondue wasn’t even available anymore! (I ended up getting the Coconut Shrimp, which was actually pretty good)

I decided to Google “Red Lobster Ultimate Fondue” when I got home, and found literally hundreds and hundreds of posts talking about this.. There are even people complaining about it on Red Lobster’s Facebook page. Obviously, this was a change that the public didn’t agree with.

I never understand why companies don’t listen to their customers. If your customers want you to bring back a menu item, bring it back! Otherwise, you risk losing that customer for life.

It’s Business 101.

Enjoyed this post?
Subscribe to Zander Chance via RSS Feed or E-mail and receive daily news updates!

Submit to Digg  Stumble This Story  Share on Twitter  Post on Facebook  Post on MySpace  Add to del.icio.us  Submit to Reddit  Fave on Technorati

14 Responses to “Red Lobster Ultimate Fondue No Longer Available”

1. Laurie Brown says:

Amen to that! I am boycotting Red Lobster until the fondue returns, because companies only listen when money is involved. EVERY Lobsterfest we would go at least once or twice. Not this time, not without the Ultimate Fondue! When it comes back, we’ll come back. Until then, they’ve lost our family as customers. Olive Garden is reaping the benefits.

• Spencer C says:

Not sure if you know this, but you aren’t really punishing the company by going to Olive Garden instead. Both Red Lobster and Olive Garden are part of a bigger parent company called the Darden Group. So honestly your boycott of Red Lobster is pointless if your alternative is Olive Garden. Might want to check into things like that in the future so you don’t come off as not having a clue what it is that you are boycotting.

• Laurie Brown says:

Well, as it turned out, we haven’t gone to either restaurant since. Other new places have opened around town and we’ve been going there instead. I can’t say I really miss it all that much, other than the fondue. I’ve been searching for a decent recipe to make my own. I’m only one customer, and in 5 years the fondue hasn’t returned, so I won’t be going back either. Businesses just don’t care any more about what their customers want. It’s all about serving the cheapest food they can make. I tend to eat a lot more home-cooked meals these days.

2. Zander says:

On a better note, RL had gotten rid of their lobster bisque sometime last year. On a recent visit, I noticed that they brought it back, so I immediately ordered it. Still as good as ever!

3. Stephanie says:

I called Red Lobster “guest services” today and complained about them removing their “Ultimate Fondue.” The lady that answered my call said she would pass on the information to those who make the decisions. She also said that the more people call and complain/ask for it back/threaten to not eat there until they do bring it back, the more likely it will be that they reconsider and bring it back. Sooooo make some phone calls people and send those emails.
    I’ve seen copy cat recipes for this online but I’d much rather have some one make it (and clean up the mess.)

• Joyce says:

Went to RED LOBSTER last night and found out Darden Restaurants are selling off RED LOBSTER. I was shocked to see this happen. A few years ago, we in Orlando, Florida went through this, and it didn’t happen. It seems as though shareholders are being driven by other outside pressures to get rid of RED LOBSTER and OLIVE GARDEN for other restaurants being put under DARDEN. Isn’t this sad that they want to take a successful restaurant and actually destroy it due to shareholders. Say it isn’t so DARDEN!

• Zander says:

Joyce, I’m with you, but unfortunately the writing’s on the wall at our Red Lobster. I went there last weekend on a Sunday afternoon, and instead of being having to wait 25-30 minutes for a table, we got seated immediately. In total, there were probably 5 or 6 tables with people, the rest of the restaurant was empty!

Honestly, I think the quality of the food there has been slipping for years, and customers finally had enough. And now with slipping revenue numbers, Darden is trying to get rid of them to put themselves back in the black.

It’s a shame, as the only other seafood restaurants around here are REALLY expensive, but I guess that’s the trade-off, quality vs price. It should be interesting to see how everything pans out in the end.

4. Anna says:

We no longer go to Red Lobster since they toke the fondue off ther menu. I use to go once a week just to order that,know its not there anymore I can stay at home and make my lobster and crab so much cheaper

5. Dan says:

I’m done with red lobster until it comes back. My restaurant substitute would probably be TGI Fridays, hopefully it’s not in the same restaurant chain.

6. LB says:

BRING BACK MY FONDUE BREAD BOWL PLEASE!!!!!!!!

7. Chelsea says:

I live in Tennessee. So there isn’t alot of seafood selections around here, but I love seafood so the fact that the only seafood restaurant around us is RL and they suck. Ithe was my favorite place to eat growing up. I love the fondue, but they haven’t had it in so long and now when I go I get lobster or crab meat. Spend $100 for 2 ppl to eat and by the end of the mean I’m still starving because they over charge for small portions or crab legs the size of my pinky, and I have a small pinky, it’s disappointing to say the least. Granted there isn’t alot off ppl that go to our red lobster so I see why they need to cut corners. But, crappy portions and taking away ppl favorite thing off the menu is not the way to make money.

8. Laurie Brown says:

It’s been 7 years, and I have not eaten there since the fondue went away. In that time I’ve eaten at Cheddar’s (fantastic ribs) and several other places. Seven birthdays I would normally have celebrated at RL instead were spent at Cheddar’s. I don’t know how much business RL lost over this, but apparently they didn’t need it. Oh well. Thanks for all the meals at Cheddar’s, Red Lobster!

• Zander says:

Cheddar’s is freaking awesome, I’m obsessed with their Monte Cristo. Sadly, the closest one is nearly 200 miles away, so I only get to enjoy it when I visit my parents down in Florida. 🙁

• Laurie Brown says:

I love their spinach dip appetizer! Then I get the ribs for a main course, and their honey croissants are delicious, too. Luckily we have a Cheddar’s right here in town.