After Nearly 10 Years, I’m Leaving GoDaddy..

Goodbye-GoDaddy

For almost 10 years, I’ve used GoDaddy for domain registration. The first domain I ever purchased was actually through Network Solutions, but I soon learned that I was paying WAY too much over there, and made the switch to GD. Now over the years, I had read horror stories about them, but I never had any issues with them. I registered around 100 domains with them, and paid the hefty renewal fees every year.

This past year, GoDaddy hiked up their rates a bit, and even with coupons, the best deal that I could find would cost around $8.50/domain. That wasn’t so bad. But when I went to renew a domain back in January, the best price I could find with them was a little over $10. And then yesterday I went to renew another domain that was expiring, and NONE of the promo codes were working, leaving me with the decision of renewing this domain for $12.50, or transferring it to somewhere else.

I chose the latter. After doing some research, I decided to transfer my domain to NameSilo. They charge $8.39 for a domain, and if you use the code SAVEMEABUCK, you can save a dollar off of your order. What I like about NameSilo is that I don’t have to hunt around for coupons each time one of my domains come up for renewal, as their regular price is just $8.39. And their reputation seems to be rock solid, unlike some other registrars out there.

Now, I won’t like, the process of transferring your domain from GoDaddy to NameSilo isn’t exactly clear, so I’ve laid out the steps if you want to do this:

1. Created an account on namesilo.com.
  2. Logged into your GoDaddy account and launch the Domain Manager on the domain you want to transfer.
  3. Under DOMAIN SETTINGS, manage the LOCK setting and unlock the domain so it can be transferred. (I think GoDaddy has them locked by default)
  4. Scroll down to the AUTHORIZATION CODE section at the bottom and have it email you the authorization code. (You use this code to initiate the transfer on NameSilo)
  5. Once you receive the authorization code, log into NameSilo and select the TRANSFER tab.
  6. Put your domain name in the transfer a single domain and click search.
  7. Put in the authorization code that GoDaddy emailed you and click Transfer these domains.
  8. At this point, you have to pay for the domain transfer using the code SAVEMEABUCK, bringing the price down to $7.39.
  9. You will receive an email from GoDaddy about the transfer, and you need to click the approve link in the email.
  10. It will log you into your GoDaddy account, where you can either approve or deny the transfer. Approve it if you want to allow the transfer to go through.
  11. You then should get an email from NameSilo and you go to your account there and accept the transfer and it is done.

The whole process took around an hour from start to finish. Once you do one, you’ll find the process much easier the next time around.. But since GoDaddy doesn’t have the most user-friendly interface, it’s a little confusing the first time around. Hopefully these directions will help you out.

If you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment below, and I’ll help you out the best that I can.

Adios GoDaddy!

Enjoyed this post?
Subscribe to Zander Chance via RSS Feed or E-mail and receive daily news updates!

Submit to Digg  Stumble This Story  Share on Twitter  Post on Facebook  Post on MySpace  Add to del.icio.us  Submit to Reddit  Fave on Technorati

11 Responses to “After Nearly 10 Years, I’m Leaving GoDaddy..”

1. Power Domainer says:

Similar story. I left Godaddy during the whole SOPA/PIPA backlash. But it was really their procedural silliness (e.g. arbitrary domain locking), hidden fees (e.g. a club fee, ICANN fee and tax) which drove me to look elsewhere. After looking around, I ended up at Epik.com and am happy there. For domain transfers, the cost is $8.34 for .COM but with one big bonus: they do it for me via their free do-it-for-me service called Transfer Concierge.

2. Dana says:

I just did the same thing after I too discovered the renewal codes aren’t working anymore.

I had been referred to NameSilo and really like how streamlined their service is. I’m planning to transfer all my domains from GoDaddy as soon as possible!

• Zander says:

Yeah, I’m in the process of moving some more expiring domains over, and I noticed they now have a “multiple domain transfer” box where you can enter up to 500 domains. That’ll make my life MUCH easier, since I need to move over another 40-50 domains. The worst part is unlocking each domain on GD and then waiting for them to send over the authorization code. (I’ve been waiting for 20+ minutes already)

3. Moving From Godaddy says:

I too have been a Godaddy customer for over 8 years. I don’t have a large number of domains (around 300) but my frustration of having to look for discount codes every month just to get a fair market renewal price. Needless to say, this is no way to run a company. Since I am renewing domains monthly I saw in January 2014 that Godaddy had increased the renewal to over $10 then a month later it moved to $12 and the this month, April 2014, was at over $15 and I was only able to find a 10% off coupon to work. I attempted to move my domains and discovered that because I had responded to a Godaddy request to update my ICANN information that I had voluntarily agreed to place a 60 day Lock on my domains… it is this kind of “Trickery” that has soured me on Godaddy. After, writing a couple of requests to have the 60 day domain lock removed, Godaddy agreed. Again, this is just not a way to run a company which should be built on customer service.. I too have moved my domains away from Godaddy as they have lost touch with their customers who are the source that pays their salaries, bonus’, tv advertising, etc.

Bye Bye Godaddy…

• Zander says:

Wow, I can’t believe they put a lock on your domains because of the ICANN business.. Ironically, GoDaddy contacted me after seeing this post, and they said they would get me a better locked-in rate without having to hunt for coupons everytime one of my domains came up for renewal. But I never heard back from them after that, and my rate is still crazy high. So I’m slowly moving my sites one by one as they come up for renewal.

4. CJ says:

I just moved 34 domains from GoDaddy to NameSilo using their bulk tool, and it wasn’t too bad. I wish there was an easier way to unlock and request auth codes on GD without having to go into each domain record, but within 20 minutes I had everything completed. Now I’m just waiting for the approval link e-mails from GoDaddy.

While it was a bit of a hassle, it saved me an easy $150, so I’m not complaining!

5. Mike says:

I have been with them six years. They called back around new years to say ” Thanks for sticking with us, do you have any questions? ” Then over night they raised rates. They said I was previously grandfathered in under a old plan but they no longer offer it.

I always hated the way they wanted to charge a liver or kidney (arms and legs are not worth much anymore) just for IMAP. My new hosting service let’s you use any protocol at no extra cost.

6. Tokkok says:

Same as me, left GoDaddy for NameSilo.

7. Pat says:

I too have been a Godaddy customer for over 10 years, lately they started charging me with various prices to renew names same tld, all .com, going from 7.99 to 11.99 EUROS, not $$$, I asked them why :

myname1.com was 7.99 and myname2.com 11.99

Answer was because names didn’t have the same anteriority which, of course, make no sense.

Today I had to renew names, still all .COM, prices were from 7.99 to 14,99 EUROS ($18.72) so i decided to transfer to NameCheap, it save me over 100 EUROS.

I believe they don’t need to keep their customers and moving my names make me feel really good, i still have names with Godaddy and will not renew a single one anymore.

8. Josh says:

I have been a customer for over 8 years myself but I only have 2 domains. I had the unlimited email plan and without realizing I didnt realize how much it kept going up over the years. Without a long detailed issue, my main gripe is it went from averaging in the $20s, and last year was $35ish without a coupon, and this year it was $83 and I could use a $10 off coupon I found.

When I called them, they would not budge. When I spoke to a supervisor, nothing. When I talked to a chat rep, nothing.

Then as someone mentioned, I received a call, heeeeyyyy how is the services doing for you? I let him know it wasn’t great due to over twice the price hike. I was told it was “upgrades” for Outlook 365. However, the Outlook 365 was going to cost me more to have my 2 accounts and they couldn’t combine them together. I let them ALL know that it wasn’t going to work for me because it was only a personal account and it doesn’t make sense to have TWO users for two logins. I mean after all, they gave up to 10 free accounts for unlimited. Since I didn’t qualify for the Outlook upgrade, why did mine spike up so high? It’s not fair and this business practice is not going to keep receiving my dollar.

So after 8 years of happy email service, I downloaded my messages, and uploaded them to another provider. And when my domains expire, I plan on moving those too.

PS: It was great talking with the reps. They all told me that I must have used a coupon. Or I got my email for a discount for the first time I got the account. But when I asked them to look at my last year statement and they told me, oooh yeah it is $36 without a coupon…hmmm. And I stated…you do realize I have been using the same package and a customer since 2006 right? Usually, they couldn’t dig themselves out a hole.

/end rant

• Michel says:

Just had the same experience as Josh, they claimed I had a friend working at godaddy who had adjusted the price for me, wtf. In the end they gave me a 40 usd discount, making the costs for email this year 80 usd instead of the normal 35ish. I will be leaving Godaddy for sure.